Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

Okay, it would appear that my dog has a chip taken out of her shoulder. She has an appointment in three hours. When I asked what I could do for her they simply told me to keep her quiet (which has proved nearly impossible, she tries throwing erself around), and otherwise were total jerks. I realize they may have been busy, but I explained my situation, she whines if I shake her paw, and it's just terrible. "Do you have an extensive knowledge of canine shoulders?" the woman sneered when I explained my predicament, I was about to tear my hair out. Do you have any advice?



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

Rachel R, are you kidding me? Are you a veterinarian? Obviously not, or you would know that what you just posted is illegal (prescribing medication without a license, practicing veterinary medicine without a license, etc) and is a class C Felony in my state.



And you absolutely nothing about anatomy and joints.



First of all, you can have chips in joints. Cartilage chips that need to be removed. They are called fragmented cornoid processes, osteochondritis desicans, and united anconeal processes. I'm guessing your dog may have OCD of the shoulder, or possibly a fracture of the humerus. Or we may be on the wrong joint altogether and it may have a condylar fracture of the elbow. Do what the vet said, keep your dog quiet, don't let her run around. Put her in a crate or small room until seeing the vet. And for God's sake stop moving it's leg around! If it hurts - don't do it!!



Now, for the Merck Manual and common sense lady Rachel R posted about giving non-steroidals - DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOG ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...



Aspirin will increase clotting times in your dog making it bleed more in surgery. Second, it can cause your dog to get an ulcer!!



Ibuprofen and Acetometephin both are toxic to the liver, can cause stomach ulcers and should be avoided!!!



Jesus, what is this person thinking!!!!



You veterinarian will prescribe appropriate pain medications for you dog (that won't kill it!!), and let you know if surgery is needed. In the mean time, put down the bottle of aspirin (or take some yourself), and relax until your appointment. Good luck with your dog.



And for anyone else reading this - It is completely irresponsible, negligent, unprofessional, malpractice and unethical to recommend any medications to a person you don't even know, let alone their pets!!!! I am shocked and appalled that anyone person would be so arrogant as to do so. You endangered this pets life by doing so!



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

Call a different vet. I'm not being flip, I'd call another vet.



Try sitting on the floor with your dog. If you can get her to lay down, just stroke her ears and talk in a low soothing voice. It may calm her down.



I hope this helps.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

Just do as they say and keep calm yourself. You'll make her worse if you're upset. It doesn't sound as if she has a life threatening illness or injury so she's not a priority. (obviously she is to you!)



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

take ur pup in early and maybe they'll see u early. there's no way to calm the dog down if she's in great pain. Just take her on in early



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

i can't imagine a vet being so insensitive! your dog is injured and you are obviously worried, and they were rude?! it sounds like she needs to get in there for her appointment, so i wouldn't cancel it, but if they don't treat you 1000 times better to make up for being jerks, i would switch vets! and make sure you tell them exactly WHY you are switching before you walk out with your pup and your money!



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

You can call another vet, but by now, you should probably just take her to the nearest emergency vet clinic.



And, you need a new vet.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

I'm sorry, call another vet who will be more understanding. Then after your dog is fine, call the Better Business Bearua (spelling and spell check could not find it) and give that vet a bad record.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

Confining her might be a god idea. Is she crate-trained? If there's anyway you can get her to lie down for the next three hours, this would be best. If she doesn't have a crate, try blocking her off in a certain room with her bed in it and some water. You might even try holding her on a leash (but only if she stays on the leash without pulling, this might make it worse) and give her small treats. Stay with her and supervise her to see if it gets any worse. I would imagine that she should calm down sometime soon.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

u need to find an emergency vet clinic. take her there right away this sounds like it cant wait. u should have taken her there right away. but find somewhere else to take her cuz it sounds like ur current vet is terrible. hope your baby feels better



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

Call your local Humane Society and tell them what the other vet said. That vet should be chastised for the callous way in which you were treated. Get a different vet. In my town the Humane Society will recommend the vet that they use, or they may even treat the dog for a fee. Our Humane Society will take emergencies.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

I agree with what others have said. Get another vet. Give this one a chance to make it better if you want, but explain what the problem is to the vet him/herself. If they don't at least appologize profusly, call the BBB.



The rubbing the ears really works. There's a pressure point at the base of the ear that when gently rubbed/massaged in a circular pattern will help calm an upset or stressed dog. It's where the ear/earflap meet the ear hole and head. You can feel a slight indentation. Now it may not work if they're thrashing about on the floor, but if they're relatively still it will help.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

I agree-call another vet. No excuse for the folks at the vets office to be so snotty. At the very least, call the vets and see if you can slip her some asprin.



Keeping your "baby" calm will be easier if you stay calm. How did she get injured? Could you perhaps wrap her in a towel to keep her still? Speak to her softly, soothingly, like you would a scared child. Keep your voice low, take deep breaths often and your calm may rub off on her.



Good luck to you both-Post here %26amp; let us know what happens with your "baby".



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

If you have some Rimidyl, you can give that to her --- it's a dog pain killer, don't give her aspirin or Tylenol either, and absolutely eliminate any idea of ever giving a dog ibuprofen... Don't try to lift her paw!!!!! Let the vet see if she had torn a muscle.... I don't think you can "take a chip out of a shoulder"



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

I am actually going through something similar with my lab. I brought him to the emergency vet and they couldn't find what was wrong. I had to wait 2 days before they could get him in for X-Rays and they said NO pain meds. They told me they thought it was Osteochondritis Dessecen, but the X-Rays came back as a Soft Tissue injury to his shoulder. They are giving him meds and he needs to rest for 2 weeks. But while I was waiting my poor puppy was in so much pain, crying and moaning for two days and nights, it was the worst thing ever. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this, and good luck on getting her in.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

You can give your dog some pain medicine while you wait for the problem to resolve itself, or wait to get a second opinion.



Treat these as maximum doses.



For acetaminophen, 15 mg/kg, four times daily as needed.



For aspirin, 10-25 mg/kg, twice daily.



For ibuprofen, 5-10 mg/kg once or twice daily. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well as a pain reliever, so it's a good choice if you suspect a muscle or joint injury.



I can't really see how she could have knocked a chip of bone off her shoulder (living bone doesn't really chip, and the shoulder on a dog is cushioned by muscle). Could she have sprained her paw or elbow, or stepped on a nail or thorn? Maybe her shoulder itself is sprained. Unless her injured leg is dangling limply at a physically impossible angle, or she has a deep puncture wound, it's probably nothing terrible, or at least, nothing the vet can or needs to fix.



If she won't hold still when you try to make her, better leave her alone and let her figure it out. Since you only mentioned that she whines when you move her paw, I assume she can get around okay. Do check the bottom of her paw and between the toes for blood, and apply first aid if there's a hole in the webbing. If there's a spreading cut, or a puncture in the pad, she needs the wound stitched or flushed clean, respectively, which the vet should really do.



Please Help Me, My Dog is Injured.?

i would find a more caring and understanding vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment