Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bald spot on my dog's neck?

My dog has a spot on his throat above his chest where it looks like the collar is rubbing his hair off or something... it's not too tight by any means, you can fit two fingers between the collar and his neck, but does anybody know why this might be happening? Every time I take his collar off, it seems like the plastic buckle is right where the spot is. I take his collar off whenever I can.. he only wears it when I take him outside. It's just a nylon collar that I bought at petsmart.. maybe a half an inch wide I think? Is there maybe another kind of collar that would prevent this from happening? And also, is there anything I could maybe put on the spot that would protect it? It's almost completely hairless. I'm not cruel to him by ANY MEANS, so anybody who's gonna make any comments like that will be reported. He has a very good life, I'm just having this little collar problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!! :)



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

My dog used to have a collar like that and it used to turn her neck red. Now I have a leather one that doesn't leave any marks. Does he drag you while he is on the leash? That could be one of the problems. I don't know what you could put on the mark, but the hair should grow back on its own.



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

It could be a number of things- fleas, mange, allergy, infection. You should take him to your vet and get the sore checked out. Ouch!



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

Possibly due to tugging.



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

Look into getting a halti head collar or a harness. If the hair is rubbing thin due to the buckle then elimate the collar, or look into getting a prong collar instead.



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

get a padded collar...



it could be something more..not everything can be prevented with a wormer or a vaccine...



could be a hot spot...ring worm...



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

My dog had the same problem, get a leather one that is rounded (no edges).



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

you need a bigger collar. My dogs neck was like that too and I could fit 2 fingers in too.



You can wash the spot with anti-bacterial shampoo for dogs.



Thats what I did for my dog and leave the collar off for a little bit then put a bigger one on!



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

He could also be scratching it, and that can also be contributing to the hair coming off!!



Bald spot on my dog's neck?

I would strongly advise taking him into your vet. Spots where hair is missing is very possibly a sign of Dermidex Mange. It is very easy for a vet to see if this is your dogs problem. All it takes is a small skin scraping and a look in the microscope. Check the rest of his body for the patches as well. Often you will see the patches on the face, neck, top of head as well as the feet, It is completely treatable but does take time. there are both dips as well as oral medications to treat and get rid of them. Personally, from speaking with our vet she would prefer to use the oral medication if it is caught early than the dips. I have seen the medications work in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks but have seen it also take 5 months. Important thing is to take care of it early rather than wait. It could also be from the collar. Try getting a simple leather collar. I have seen some dogs have a problem with the nylon especially those that have very fine hair. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment