Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Dust free ??

Hi, I am allergic to Dust in the house. How can I keep my house dust free? I live with two short hair dogs, I have no carpet flooring anywhere, but tile and laminate wood. I also have 3 iRobot that suck up pretty much everything from dirt to smaller particle without spitting anything out. But I guess when I handle the machine I get some reaction. I do not wish to leave the dogs out side, they are both indoor dogs and are companion for me.



A Dust free ??

How can I reduce my exposure to house dust?



1. It is best for the dust sensitive person to not do the vacuuming or dusting. If you must do these tasks, wear a mask, and use a vacuum cleaner with a high efficiency filter to reduce your exposure.



2. There are electrostatically charged cleaning cloths and mops which attract and hold the dust to keep it from becoming airborne. Using a damp mop on floors and walls can reduce dust levels. Don't forget to clean bed springs, window sills, under furniture, Venetian blinds, and other dust catchers with a damp cloth.



3. Remove carpets and as many dust producing and dust catching items from your home as possible. Select closed book cases and curio cabinets instead of open shelves. Books and magazines are dust catchers. Tile, linoleum, or hardwood floors are much better for the allergic patient than carpets.



4. Mattresses, box springs, and pillows should be encased with impermeable, zippered covers. New fabrics are now available that are breathable to allow water vapor to pass through for added comfort.



5. Keep clothing in drawers, and closet doors closed.



6. Vacuum frequently with a machine equipped with a High Efficiency Air Filter. Nilfisk, Fantom, Miele, and Euroclean are brands with HEPA filters.



7. A high performance filter in the central air system can remove 90%+ of the dust from the air as it operates. These washable filters should not contain any materials with glue on them. Check with the manufacturer before making a purchase.



8. Room air purifiers are helpful in controlling dust especially in your bedroom.



9. Have the duct system cleaned and checked for leaks.



10. Use wooden, glass, or plastic furniture where possible rather than upholstered items. Antiques often contain high amounts of dust.



11. Use washable curtains or window shades instead of Venetian blinds and heavy draperies.



12. Select easily cleaned decorations instead of silk or dried flower arrangements, straw, wicker, or fabric wall coverings.

No comments:

Post a Comment